Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Tagged

Stephen King's "11/22/63
  • mobius32mobius32
    Well, I just finished my first Stephen King book, "11/22/63". As a book, it's mildly entertaining (emphasis on "mildly") in parts if you enjoy speculative fiction; but I wouldn't recommend that anyone buy it. Spolier alert: this book is about a guy who travels in time back to 1963 to stop the JFK murder. To make a long story short, the book concludes that Oswald was the lone shooter (and a malcontent, etc, etc)(I have no idea why I thought King would have concluded otherwise, but I guess that's what made me buy the book). Anyway, the kicker, as Jim DeG would say, is that King has an afterword in the book in which he states that he's 98 percent sure Oswald acted alone; he cites his reading list as Case Closed (Posner), Legend (Epstein), Oswald's Tale (Mailer) .... and he gives a big salute to the Gary Mack and the 6th Floor Museum ... he also buys the fact that Ruby killed Oswald because Ruby so distraught over JFK's death. By this point, I should have gagged ... so, save yourself your dollars and time.

But this ridiculous book made me ask this question: If you had to give the top 5 or 10 reasons that heavily suggest that JFK was killed in a conspiracy, what would they be? I know that Len has asked this question, but here are two facts (ASSUMING I'm correct, and please correct me if I'm wrong) that in and of themselves suggest that Oswald's story is much more complicated than the WC presented. In fact, if I'm correct about these facts, I might even write to King myself and politely tell him how wrong he is :-)

My list:

(1) Jack Ruby attends press conference held in basement of Dallas Police Dept on day of the assassination. Ruby corrects the speaker regarding Oswald's involvement with the Fair Play for Cuba Committee. I have seen photos of video of a man at this conference who very much looks like Ruby; and I've seen an interview of someone who says that Ruby was there (the someone, I believe, was the person given the briefing re: Oswald). I would be very curious what Posner's of the world have to say about this, and perhaps someone who has done deeper research can tell me. Otherwise, you have ask what the hell is Ruby doing at a press conference correcting info re: Oswald.

2) Ruby knew Oswald. How did the Warren Commission and its defenders deal with the numerous people who said that they recognized Oswald because Ruby introduced them?

I'm sorry I even bought this book.

• MinMMinM
  • MinMMinM
  • MinMMinM
  • MinMMinM
  • LordBaltoLordBalto